Selecting the best router for port forwarding is a very important task if you’re gonna be running servers on your network that are going to be accessed from the outside world. In a word, if you want traffic forwards on certain ports to specific networks, then you must have a compatible router for port forwarding.
Here we’ve listed the top 5 routers that are eligible for easy port forwarding and will provide the best service at Home for long-range gaming, streaming, cox, spectrum, Xfinity, and more.
We also added the easiest way to configure each router for port forwarding, as if you don’t have to worry about anything after complete the purchasing process.
What ports should I use for port forwarding?
Different port numbers can be used for different tasks. It completely depends on you that what ports you will use for which task. Here we noted some ports that you can use for your game server, web server, or camera server.
|Game Console||TCP Port||UDP Port|
|Ps3||80, 81, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 8080, 5223, 3074||3478, 3479, 3074, 3075|
|Ps4||80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480||3478, 3479|
|Ps5||3480, 3479, 3478, 443, 80||3478, 3479|
|Xbox360||53, 80, 3074||53, 88, 3074, 22728, 33233|
|Xbox One||53, 80, 3074||53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500|
|Nintendo Switch||80, 53, 443||65535|
What is the benefit of port forwarding?
- Great way to store public IP address
- Protect servers and clients from unwanted access through remote port forwarding
- You can connect your camera server from outside of the house to invigilate every time
- Enjoy super speed gaming with your buddy
- Overall, it’s worthy if you want to make a local service or device accessible from your network
How to setup Port Forwarding on your router?
- Take your router’s default gateway IP address ( If you can’t find it, then search google “what’s my IP address?”)
- Then, paste it into your browsers address bar
- Enter your username and passwords
- Now find the port forwarding tab
- Once you found it, give this setting a name
- Type the port that you want to use
- Now, type the name of the computer you want to forward traffic to
- Finally, use your end port
- Save settings, and that’s it
How do I know if port forwarding is working?
- Access the router’s WAN interface from the Internet.
- Go to port option and see if there showing the status “open”
- Keep in mind, port forwarding won’t work if you access it from the local network
The Best Router For Easy Port Forwarding
1. TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Wi-Fi Spec: MU-MIMO Wireless/Dual-band | Coverage: 1500 sq ft | Satelite Extender: 1 | Ports: 5 Ethernet Ports | Peak Throughput: 1.9 Gbps | Size: 9.59 x 7.34 x 1.29 inches | Frequency: 5 GHz | Availaible Device: Amazon Alexa | Warranty: 2 Years
It’s one of the cheapest routers of tp-link with handsome features and speed. This is the best budget router that comes for only $79 with a 1.6 Gbps data transfer rate, beamforming technology to boost your range coverage up to 1500 sq ft, and so on.
- JD Power Award - Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300 Mbps on the 5GHz band
- MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, 3 simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by...
AC Wave 2/ MU-MIMO Technology
It comes with mu-mimo technology that offers speedy transfer, streaming, gaming, and multi-task opportunity. For those Who don’t know about mu-mimo technology, it’s a term that stands for multiple user, multiple input, and multiple output. This technology creates an opportunity for multiple users to seamlessly data transferring and communicating concurrently.
Smart Connect technology directs clients to less congested bands, and Airtime Fairness optimizes usage, lag-free online gaming, and streaming.
Also, some features of mu-mimos, such as Airtime Fairness and QoS work together to let you experienced 4k streaming and lag-free gaming.
Their beamforming and 3 external high gain antennas are always focused on delivering direct signals on your network and works like a guard that ensures not disconnecting your device from the network during the home works.
How to configure port forwarding on Tp-link router?
Tp-link routers have some difficult user interface but not so much that beginner-type users can’t figure it out. Here we revealed the easiest and right way to port forward your tp-link router safely.
- Open the browser and type http://tplinklogin.net..
- Login into your account
- Collect your local IP address and reserve it
- To reserve your IP address go to DHCP setting in your tp-link account and open the address reservation tab
- Input the mac address (Physical address) & Ip address
- If you don’t know how to collect your mac address, then go to the windows search bar and type the command prompt and open it
- Type “ipconfig/all” and press enter
- There you can see your physical address or mac address
- Now, click the forwarding option and open the virtual server tab
- Click the Add new button and fill in the service port, IP address, and protocol (TCP/UDP)
- Then, save the settings and done
- If you have two or more devices that want the same port to be opened for a certain service, then click here for more details.
TP-Link AC1900 Pros
- Speed up to 1900 Mbps
- Best budget router under $100
- You can connect up to 15 device
- Great security, VPN router
- Easy setup with free app
- Works with Alexa
TP-Link AC1900 Cons
- Not for large home
- 4k streaming and gaming not possible at the 2.4 GHz band
2. ARRIS SURFboard SBG10 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem & Wi-fi Router Combo
Wi-Fi Spec: 802.11ac/dual-band wifi 5 router | Antennas: 4 | Ports: 2 Gigabite Ethernet Ports | Peak Throughput: 1.6 Gbps | Size: 6.77 x 1.97 x 6.58 inches | Frequency: 2.4 GHz/5 GHz | Modem Transfer Rate: 686 Mbps | Protocols & Specifications: DOCSIS 3.0 | Warranty: 2 years | Downstream channels: 16 | Upstream Channels: 4
ARRIS SURFboard SBG10 is one of the best cable modem router combo machines that can be used for Xfinity, cox, spectrum, and compatible for Suddenlink too. It combines a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with an 802.11ac Wi-Fi router and has 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels.
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem, AC1600 dual-band Wi-Fi Router, 2 Port Gigabit Ethernet Router...
- Wi-Fi 5 AC1600 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
This arris surfboard router can be used for port forwarding with another router even in bridge mode, so you don’t need to buy a separate access point at a higher price where you can get the best one for $119 bucks.
It has built-in mu-mimo technology that can handle multiple devices easily and support Ipv4 and Ipv6 protocol.
This router is compatible with the most popular USA cable internet providers such as Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity, and others. It delivers up to 300 Mbps for Cox internet, up to 400 Mbps for spectrum internet, and 300 Mbps or lower in the case of Xfinity cable internet provider.
Their fastest peak throughput rate and two 1-Gigabit Ethernet Ports offer ultra-fast wired networking that allows you to enjoy lag-free online gaming, streaming, and more.
How to configure port forwarding on Arrirs router
- Open a browser and enter the default gateway address 192.168.0.1
- Type your username, password and click the apply button
- Now click the Firewall and open the virtual server/port forwarding tab
- Then click the add button and fill the name box
- Enter your desire port number into both the inbound port fields
- Choose the protocol type
- Type your clients Ip address
- Then fill up the local port option with the same port that you filled for the inbound port
- Click “Add virtual server” to connect
ARRIS SURFboard Pros
- Cable modem and router combo
- Well rated from critics
- Compatible for cox, spectrum, and Xfinity
- Ultra first wired port
- Best combo router at a low price
ARRIS SURFboard Cons
- Not compatible with AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
3. NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home long range wireless router 1 mile
Wi-Fi Spec: Mesh Wi-Fi 6/Tri-band | Coverage: 5000 sq ft | Satelite Extender: 1 | Ports: 1 Multi-Gigabit WAN/4 LAN gigabit per second | Peak Throughput: 6 Gbps | Size: 10 x 7.5 x 2.8 inches | Processor: Quad-core 2.2GHz processor | Memory and Storage: 512MB NAND flash and 1GB RAM
Netgear Orbi AX6000 is one of the fastest, most powerful routers that offers countless astonishing features and trusted by well-known experts of CNET, Apple & PC MAG. (this is their best-tested router)
Netgear Orbi is the remarkably best router for long-range use at home or offices because it’s a wireless router that can cover from 1000 feet to 1 mile easily with speedy internet in your home.
- Ultra-performance Mesh WiFi network blankets every inch of your home in super fast and seamless WiFi...
- Eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering - 5,000 square feet of consistent coverage - with speeds up to...
- The most award-winning Mesh WiFi system on the planet: PC Mag, CNET, Wirecutter, Forbes, SmallNetBuilder.
If you’re living in a large home, then this is a capable Wi-Fi system for you that will deliver fast wireless networking to all areas of your home and let you maintain uninterrupted connections as you move from room to room.
It can offer seamless 4K streaming, gaming, and device connectivity everywhere in your home without additional wiring, range extenders, or access points. (Works with Amazon Alexa & google assistant)
With netgear orbi ax6000 you can do easy port forwarding because of its effortless and modern configuration. Let’s see how this can be done.
How to configure port forwarding on Netgear router?
- First, decide your service and select your right port for that task
- Now, Find your local IP address (Ipv4) from your windows or mac command prompt by typing “ipconfig”
- To keep your server running on the same id address, reserve it (it’s a crucial task
- Type orbilogin.com in a web browser
- Enter the username & password
- Select advanced option, then open port forwarding tab
- Select the service name or you can create a new one
- Paste that IP address in the server IP address field
- Click the add button and done
Netgear Orbi AX6000 Pros
- Fastest mesh router with unparalleled performance
- Multigig WAN port
- Modern app-based easy setup
- 5000 ft long Coverage
- Able to connect with 60+devicess
- Up to 6 Gbps speed and 2.5 Gbps with any internet provider
Netgear Orbi AX6000 Cons
4. ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-band WiFi Gaming Router
Wi-Fi Spec: MU-MIMO Wireless/Tri-band | Coverage: 5000 sq ft | Antennas: 8 | Ports: 1 WAN & 4 LAN Ports | Peak Throughput: 5.34 Gbps | Size: 24.50 x 6.50 x 24.50 inches | Frequency: 5 GHz | Availaible Device: Amazon Alexa | Warranty: 2 Years | Memory: 128MB of flash and 256MB of DDR3 RAM
This is the best wireless gaming router (tri-band) that comes with advanced mu-mimo technology and unique gaming-centric features. Though it offers long-range connectivity at home and offices, it’s specially made by focusing on specific gamers and steamers. Needless to say, if you’re a hardcore gamer or a geek, then this router would be a great help to level-up your gaming experience.
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz) with the latest 802; 11AC 4x4 technology for maximum throughput...
- Mu memo technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum...
- Built in ACCESS to Waist gamers private network (GPN) of route optimized servers ensures low, stable ping...
Their Adaptive QoS or quality of service allows gamers to prioritize gaming packets and activities. Mu-mimo technology ensures fast connectivity for multiple users at a time; whether peoples are streaming online or playing games, everyone can enjoy their task totally latency-free.
Besides mu-mimo, their NitroQAM (1024-QAM) technology works to delivers a combined 5334 Mbps Wi-Fi speed, which gives you the 95% guarantee of enjoying smooth streaming and low-latency online gaming.
Also, it comes with an easy to configure asuswrt user interface and an Asus router app that helps from setting up your router to port forwarding, manage network traffic, diagnose connection issues or firmware updates without needing to boot up your pc or mac.
How to configure port forwarding on Asus router?
- Open your web browser, and enter the router.asus.com… URL
- Now click the WAN option and open the virtual server/port forwarding port
- Then select your server (HTTP/FTP) from “Famous Server List”
- Types your service name, port range, local IP, and local port
- Finally, select the protocol type (TCP/UDP)
- Select the yes option from enable port forwarding list
- Apply, save settings, and done
- For further information visit here
How would you know that your port forwarding has successfully been configured for the selected server?
- Assure that your HTTP server is set up and running.
- You will need a PC outside your LAN, but it has to be Internet access. Be aware that this PC should not be connected to the ASUS router in any way.
- Launch a web browser and type the Wan IP address in your search bar. If port forwarding has been successful, you can enter the web page provided by the selected server.
ASUS RT-AC5300 Pros
- Very fast 2.4GHz and 5GHz throughput
- 4k streaming and lag-free online gaming
- AI Protection with Parental Controls
- Lifetime security
- Vpn sever
ASUS RT-AC5300 Cons
- So many antennas
- Middling file-transfer speeds
5. Google Nest WiFi Router
Wi-Fi Spec: 802.11ac/dual-band mesh kit with speaker extension | Coverage: 4400 sq ft | Antennas: 4 | Ports: 4 Ethernet Ports | Peak Throughput: 5.34 Gbps | Size: 4.33 x 4.33 x 3.56 inches | Frequency: 5 GHz | Availaible Device: Google wifi | Processor: Quad-core 1.4GHz | Memory: Router – 1 Gb, Extension: 768 MB | Storage: Router – 4Gb, Extension – 512 MB | Wi-Fi Chip: Qualcomm QCS 400 family
When it comes to Google, they have shown their perfection at everything and are continuously working to make our daily lives easier. This Google Nest WiFi Router is a 2 pack mesh wifi router that can cover up to 4400 sq ft area with a speedy net connection.
This item can deliver a scalable and flexible Wi-Fi system by eliminating buffering in your whole home at any room and anytime.
This router is also sold as a “1 pack,” then why should I pick a “2 pack” item? How could I get more value from this?
- This product includes one router unit.
- Nest Wifi is a scalable and flexible Wi-Fi system. These Nest Wifi devices work together to blanket your...
When your main router will connect with the internet provider’s modem to create a sustainable wifi network, that time the other extend will work as a wireless network provider that can deliver us a fast, reliable, and long-range network with ease.
Now it’s time to share with you some shocking features of the google nest router. It’s too strong to handle up to 200 connected devices, capable of handle 160 more devices than Netgear orobi whole home router.
Besides, it offers seamless connectivity at multiple devices, 4k streaming, and uninterrupted connection during video conferencing or online gaming.
How to configure port forwarding on Google router with google wifi app?
- Open the Google Wifi app.
- Click the Settings and actions tab
- Now tap Network & General
- Under “Network,” click Advanced networking and open the Port management tab
- Create new port management rules
- Now choose the type of IP address (Ipv4 or Ipv6)
- Type internal and external ports
- You can add different internal and external port numbers for single port forwarding, but in the case of the port range, you must keep the internal and external ranges the same. (port range for Ipv6)
- Choose the protocols either TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP
- Save the settings and done
How to configure port forwarding on Google router with google home app?
- Open the Google Home app
- Click wifi and then setting
- Now tap Advanced settings and tap the port management tab
- Create new port management rules
- Choose the type of IP address (Ipv4 or Ipv6)
- Type internal and external ports
- Choose the protocols (TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP)
- Save the settings and done
Google Nest Pros
- Long-range coverage
- Up to 5.34 Gbps net speed
- Seamless connectivity, perfect for 4k streaming and uninterrupted communication
- Easy setup with the app
- Easy to understand user interface for port forwarding
- Parental controls
- Advanced security chips
Google Nest Cons
6. Linksys MR9600 Wi-Fi 6 Router
Wi-Fi Spec: 802.11ax/dual-band mesh wifi 6 router | Coverage: 3000 sq ft | Antennas: 4/non-removable | Ports: 4 LAN / 1 WAN / Two USB 3.0 | Peak Throughput: 4.4 Gbps | Size: 11.82 x 6.67 x 2.26 inches | Frequency: 5 GHz | Processor: Quad-core 1.8GHz | Memory: 512 MB | Storage: 512 MB | Wi-Fi Chip: Broadcom BCM43684
Introducing Linksys MR9600, a wifi-6 router that’s made with intelligent mesh and based on 802.11ax technology. It’s long-range wifi for the home that can cover up to 3000 sq feet with a speedy connection.
Besides, this item is made with mu-mimo technology that can deliver the fastest internet connection for up to 40+ devices. It’s effortless to install with linkysis app and comes with an amazing user interface that supports easy port forwarding.
- Powered by Intelligent Mesh Technology; Coverage up to 3000 sq. ft. and supports 40 plus devices
- WiFi 6 speeds up to 6.0 Gbps to support 4K/8K streaming, gaming, video calls and more
- Dynamically maximizes WiFi speed and eliminates dead zones in your home
You can also create a sustainable mesh network with other compatible Linksys routers by using its intelligent mesh technology. It utilized the tardiest 802.11ax technology to accouche relatively quick 5GHz throughput performance and uninterrupted file transfer speeds.
Linksys MR9600 router can hit pure speeds of up to 1,147 megabits per second on the 2.4GHz band and 4,804 megabits per second on the 5 GHz that’s perfect for streaming, online gaming, video chatting, and more without being a touch of buffering.
Now eliminate your home’s dead zone with Linksys MR9600 and enjoy seamless connectivity.
How to configure port forwarding on linksys router
- Open a browser, Types your default gateway
- Login in to your Linksys account
- Now, click the security option which placed below
- Open Apps & gaming tab
- Click port range forwarding or single port forwarding
- Now add a new Port Range Forwarding
- Types application name (Ex. “Xbox”)
- Add star and end port (Ex. 3074-3074)
- Select protocol (TCP, UDP, TCP/UDP)
- Enter the device IP address
- Save the settings and done
Linksys MR9600 Pros
- Easy to install
- Mesh technology, Wifi-6 router
- Solid close-range throughput
- Speedy file transfer
- Parental Controls
Linksys MR9600 Cons
- No anti-malware protection
- No multi-gig LAN
- No link aggregation
- Middling long-range performance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does port forwarding affect anything?
Port forwarding doesn’t affect your internet speed, electricity, device, or anything. Rather, it may help increase your internet speed. Lifewire said, “If the computer signal can find its way into your computer a few milliseconds quicker, it will add up to be dramatic speed increases for your overall gameplay or your downloading, lobby wait times, and particularly for the host.” But it doesn’t have any connection with reducing latency.
what ports do hackers use?
- TCP port 21 — FTP
- TCP port 22 — SSH
- TCP port 23 — Telnet
- TCP port 25 — SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
- TCP and UDP port 53 — DNS
- TCP port 443 — HTTP and HTTPS (HTTP over SSL)
- TCP port 110 — POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3)
- TCP and UDP port 135 — Windows RPC
- TCP and UDP ports 137–139 — Windows NetBIOS over TCP/IP
- TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434 — MSS
list of other popular ports
- Port: 80 – Web Hosting (Web Pages)
- Port: 443 – SSL
- Port: 21 – FTP Server (transferring files)
- Port: 3389 – RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)